Start-up visa

Are you currently studying at Royal Holloway on a Tier 4 International Student visa? Or are you an alumni of Royal Holloway? Do you have the entrepreneurial spirit and want to stay in the UK to run your own business? Then the start-up visa is just what you’re looking for.

Every year, we are able to endorse a set number of our students or graduates to be eligible for the start-up visa of the UK. It is a competitive process so get started early to have the best chance to be prepared as best you can.

For all those who successfully receive a start-up visa, we provide mentors for the duration of the visa as well as ongoing support through workshops.

After your application is submitted, a panel of judges will decide if we will put you forward for enddorsement. Panel decisions are pending until our International Advice team has finished conducting immigration checks.

Application Process

In order to be considered for a Start Up Visa Endorsement by Royal Holloway you need to fill in the application documents below and submit them by the listed deadline.

You furter need to belong to one of the following groups

  • current Royal Holloway student
  • former Royal Holloway student
  • prospective business partner of current or former Royal Holloway student

Application Documents

Important dates:

  • 14th Augsts: Deadline for submission of application for all UG students
  • 15th October: Deadline for all PG students
  • 1st February: Deadline for all PG students who started in January
  • For alumni and PGR/MPhil/PhD students: you can choose any of those three deadlines

Final decisions on whether or not a Start Up Visa is granted lies with the Home Office and is outside the remit of Royal Holloway

*Students on Tier 4 visa are not allowed to engage in business activity unless they obtain a Start-Up visa.

*Please be aware that students granted leave to remain through the new Graduation Immigration Route (GIR) will not be able to switch to the Startup or Innovator visa at a later date. Please get relevant advice from International Student Services or the website.